Upcycled Alphabet Paper Beads

how to make letter beads, paper beads, recycled paper, upcycled paper, how to make beads, how to add letters to rolled paper beads
Upcycled Construction Paper Beads with Letters!
I love a hand made paper bead to customize jewelry or a project I am working on but sometimes I need specific letters for the perfect gift.


How to Add Letters to Rolled Paper Beads


I showed you how to roll beads in  How to roll upcycled paper beads. While I was rolling my beads, my daughter was looking for alphabet beads to make a necklace for her teacher. I did not have the letters she needed so we came up with a solution.


I had her use washable markers to color a picture for her teacher and write her teachers name out with spaces in between each letter. U   P   C   Y   C   L   E   D    C   H   A   O   S. I cut the picture into random strips and styles for rolling beads and cut each letter out individually. When I finished rolling a bead I picked a letter up with a small brush with glue on the tip and placed it on the bead. I brushed over the letter with the glue brush until it was coated and stuck to the bead. After the bead was completely coated I moved it to my drying rack and waited. Needless to say it turned out to be a great inexpensive project to do with my daughter and make a gift at the same time. She is so proud of the beads. She now colors me papers everyday to turn into beads.





Here I cut letters from magazines (you can't see those very well, sorry) and around letters I wrote on paper to make different designs. I layered my written letters on colorful patterns I liked to get blocky and bubbly letters for my beads. I also simply wrote letters onto some of the beads.









I happpened to find a whole word I liked so I cut it into a strip and put the strip on my roller with the word at the bottom outside of the strip. When I rolled it into a bead the word was on the face of the bead. 








The letters I had to cut were glued to beads. Bigger letters need bigger beads. I put glue on top of the bead where I wanted my letter to sit. Picked up the letter of choice with the same glue brush and placed it on  top of the glue. I brushed glue over the bead and letter. These letter beads are currently on string in my finishing basket and I will get a picture posted as soon I coat them. 


Creative Commons License
This work by Jennifer@theupcyclingnanny.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.theupcyclingnanny.com