Upcycled Plastic Bottle Drip Catcher and Faucet Basket

Plastic bottle crafts, sink basket, soap catcher
Plastic bottle drip catchers and faucet basket
I was surfing pinterest one evening and I came across this picture of a nice looking drip catcher for spouts like this. There were no instructions on how to make them so I set to work. I wanted some for my laundry detergent containers. But today I am making a basket to hang from my kitchen faucet and hold sponges and sink stoppers and such, with the same concept.


Upcycled Plastic Bottle Drip Catcher and Faucet Basket

First I gathered supplies I would need. Actually first I made a list with a plan and then I gathered these things.

  • Clean, dry plastic bottle 
  • Cutting board
  • Sharpie (for marking cuts)
  • X-acto crafting knife (one of my favorite tools) You can use another similar cutting tool. 
If you use scissors make sure they are sharp. I used scissors for the drip catchers the first time I tried this and my cuts were jagged and very uneven.


For the drip catcher I used a smaller bottle and
cut the spout off lower on the  top side.

For the faucet basket I cut the bottle closer to the
spout  so i could use the rounded top .

 I made sure the bottle was dry after this cut so that I could put the bottle next to where I wanted it to hang and used the sharpie to mark the cut. If the bottle is wet where you try to mark with the sharpie, it will not write. I started with the back cut so that if I made a mistake I could try to salvage the bottle and still get a drip catcher out of it.
I cut where I marked and left the plastic still attached so I could test the cut. I put the faucet through to make sure the cut was not as wide as the spout (where the aerator is, I looked that up just now). This way I have to put one side of the spout through then the other. When the bottle has weight in it, the spout will be a stopper keeping it from sliding off.
 For the drip catcher I only made one spout cut in the back close to the top of the bottle. I needed two for my sink basket. So I repeated myself on the opposite side of the bottle. I marked where I wanted to cut with the sharpie. Cut the mark leaving the plastic attached and tested my cut on the faucet.

Now that I have a handle I need a basket so I marked out an opening for it and cut one whole side out. 
I cut through the inside of the bottle
 with my X-acto to make my cuts line up.
I cut the spout opening flaps I had left on to test as I went. I hung the basket and filled it. 
Finished Plastic Bottle Faucet Basket
I later painted all my plastic bottle drip catchers and basket, coated them with mod podge and an acrylic sealer and hung them again for use.