UpcycledContinuous Flat T-Shirt Yarn



upcycled shirt, t shirt yarn, clothing crafts, fabric crafts, how to make yarn, crochet, knitting
Continuous Flat T-Shirt Yarn Balls
Flat T-Shirt yarn is an easy way to cut continuous strips of yarn out of seamed T-Shirts and the tops of the T-Shirts you use for tube yarn continuous strands. This method also works for sheets and other seamed T-shirt type fabrics.

Upcycled Continuous Flat T-Shirt Yarn

You will need:
Scissors and T-shirts
Fold a piece of your cut T-shirt in half and cut into strips. Leave about a 1 inch allowance at the top uncut.


I folded the top half back to show you I turned my work around to make my first cut.




 On the TOP half only, cut through the allowance finishing the strip. Skip the next strip allowance and finish the cut on the third allowance strip.



Continue to cut every other allowance strip until you reach the last allowance strip of the top half of your T-Shirt.




I folded the top half back so I would not cut the wrong strip by accident while cutting the bottom strips.
Skip the first strip allowance and cut the second.
Skip the third strip allowance and cut the fourth. 
Each bottom strip cut will be opposite of your top strip cuts.
Continue through to the last bottom allowance strip.

 Roll your flat T-shirt yarn into a Center Pull Ball and it is ready to use. I have read you can make the strip allowance more tapered if you would like and if a piece comes out of the dryer deformed you can stretch it back into place. I personally do not use this method because I never liked the way it looked and felt after I cut the first Half of this shirt. I have seen others use this yarn and the pieces look great. Maybe it is a method you will like.

Creative Commons License
This work by Jennifer@theupcyclingnanny.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.theupcyclingnanny.com